December 22, 2010

Black Swan - 2010

Director: Darren Aronofsky
Writers: Mark Heyman, Andres Heinz, & John McLaughlin
Starring: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassell, Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder

"I just want to be perfect." Up-and-coming ballerina Nina Sayers (Portman) struggles to keep hold on her sanity while competing against rival Lily (Kunis) in her attempt to play both the White Swan and Black Swan in the classic ballet Swan Lake.

As much as I've espoused the greatness of a few other films this year, this beats them all. I wish I had a single criticism of the film, but it's not there. Portman has hit the zenith of her career to date, Kunis plays someone who isn't her character from That 70s Show, the use of sound effects to enhance certain scenes is breathtaking...and overall, there's a movie for non-fans of ballet to love, although I'm sure die-hards will fawn over it as well. It's suspenseful and haunting and so many other things. If it doesn't win a certain three Oscars, I will be very disappointed. A+

No comments:

Post a Comment