July 22, 2009

Spending spree

We never had a huge library of DVDs when I was growing up, mostly for financial reasons. My parents won't even go see movies in theaters anymore, but that's another matter for another entry. The only movies they watch these days come courtesy of Blockbuster Online, and while it's a wonderful service, will never replace the ease of picking a movie off your personal shelf whenever the mood strikes you and popping it into the DVD player.

And yes, I do still use the "antiquated" DVD instead of Blu-Ray. I don't have an HDTV or anything like that, so I don't think it's worth it yet. My untrained eye doesn't see enough of a difference in picture quality.

I'm the type who'll go out looking for a specific film, maybe two or three, and if I can't find them, I'll buy whatever semi-reasonable amount I feel I've been missing lately. That was the case yet again today, as neither the local Best Buy, Target, nor Blockbuster had a copy of K-Pax for sale. Here's what I walked out with:

Almost Famous
Batman Begins
Burn After Reading
Edward Scissorhands
Frida
The Great Buck Howard
Heathers
The Prestige
The Spirit
Stand By Me
When Harry Met Sally

The additions brings my total DVD count to around 125. It might seem like a lot, but I've got a 12 page Word document of movies I plan to buy as well, so this is just a drop in the bucket.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm on the same page with you on the Blu-Ray and HD stuff. I can't tell the difference. I need to see The Prestige, and a few others on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet, I need to see Almost Famous, Burn After Reading, Frida, The Prestige, a couple others but those have been on my list. Can we watch Almost Famous, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carter part of the problem might have been they didn't have DVD's when we were growing up ^^

    ReplyDelete