May 3, 2010

Color Me Kubrick - 2007

Director: Brian W. Cook
Writer: Anthony Frewin
Starring: John Malkovich

"I'm not Stanley Kubrick; I'm Alan Conway, one of life's great failures!" Throughout the 1990s, Alan Conway successfully impersonated film director Stanley Kubrick (A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket), despite not knowing much about or resembling the man, due to Kubrick's reclusive nature.
John Malkovich is an actor who, like Robert Downey Jr., has been criticized for playing a similar character in each of his roles, one remarkably like himself. His performance as Conway-as-Kubrick shatters this fallacy; he's a typical Brit one moment and a flaming Jewish stereotype the next. (Kubrick wasn't gay, but Conway's vices, despite the impersonation, tricked many into believing so). The writing's been critized as lacking depth, but I think most would find this film as entertaining as the real Kubrick found the news that he had an impersonator back in 1998.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this not too long after it came out on DVD, and I was pretty bored by it. The only thing the film made me feel was second-hand embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete