February 21, 2010

Crazy Heart - 2009

Director: Scott Cooper
Writer: Scott Cooper
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Colin Farrell

"I used to be somebody, and now I'm somebody else." Thanks to the awards buzz, you've all heard of this film by now. Bad Blake (Bridges) is a washed-up country music legend whose first real gig in years is opening up for his protege Tommy Sweet (Farrell). Along comes Jean Craddock (Gyllenhaal), a young reporter who reinvigorates Blake's lust for life.

Several things make this movie remarkable:
  • Both Bridges and Farrell do their own singing (although a third man, Ryan Bingham, is on the OST)
  • Bridges, Gyllenhaal, and Farrell all have flawless accents, which I can't say for certain other Oscar nominees
  • It made me not hate country music, if only for two hours
  • This adorable child
If this doesn't win at least two of its Oscar nominations, I'll be raising hell come March 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment