November 22, 2009

Paranormal Activity - 2009


Director: Oren Peli
Writer: Oren Peli
Starring: Katherine Featherston, Micah Sloat

A couple moves into a home and gets plagued by unexplained goings-on for three weeks.

That's pretty much the whole movie. Honestly, I don't know how it's done as well (critically or box officewise) as it has so far. The premise isn't exactly original (think Blair Witch Project but in a house, minus shakycam), and I didn't consider it scary at all (although the rest of the theater seemed to disagree). Maybe it's just my personal disdain for movies billed as actually having taken place even though they're COMPLETELY FICTIONAL, I don't know. Yet somehow, this $15,000 film has made $105 million so far, and a sequel was announced last month. I will applaud one thing, though: the performance of Micah Sloat. "I promised not to buy a Ouija board. I borrowed one." His character's disbelief in the demonic presence and slight antagonism towards his girlfriend shines through as the most believable aspect of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment