August 30, 2009

Julie and Julia - 2009

Director: Nora Ephron
Writer: Nora Ephron (adapted from Julie Powell & Julia Child)
Starring: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Stanley Tucci

CAVEAT: If you're going to jump down my throat for seeing a chick movie, don't even bother reading this. You've judged a movie for what it's not (sort of), and are already too far gone to ever appreciate it.

Ephron's Julie & Julia explores two women's lives, and how they are changed by food: Julia Child, during her Parisian rise to become the master chef we all know, and Julie Powell, a humble New York City bureaucrat who decided to blog about her own experience spending a year cooking through Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

One could argue that this is two movies in one, which is "one more than it needs to be." (Yes, that's an actual quote from a review.) One could also argue that Ephron's presence in the script is an unmistakable one, as quite a bit of screentime is devoted to the two women's relationships with their husbands, rather than the more plot-essential events in their respective lives. And as I've already said, calling it a "chick flick" would be a mistake; it's more than that, I promise. What really saves this movie is Meryl Streep's performance as Child--the voice is mimicked perfectly, and her distinct lilt (much like Jon Stewart's impression of Elizabeth II) shall haunt me for days to come. Stanley Tucci, never one to disappoint, also comes through with flying colors in his scenes as Child's husband. I even forgot for a moment that Julie was none other than Amy Adams from the despicable Enchanted, so that's a good sign. When it comes out on DVD, I might even go back for a second helping of this delicious film.

I'm really, really sorry about the puns. I couldn't help myself.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Meryl Streep was perfect (as always). My mom and aunt grew up with Julia Child on the TV, and they were amazed by how well Meryl played her.

    ReplyDelete